Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Somebody missed me

Sorry for the gap in posts but Nick and I were preparing for and then enjoying a tropical vacation in the Virgin Islands. I usually get really depressed on the last day of vacation when it's time to head home and I have to leave behind the sun, beach and fabulous rum. Nick has repeatedly threatened to stop going on vacations with me because of it. But this was the first time where I was actually eager to come back to dreary KC (in comparison to the Virgin Islands) because I knew there was a fuzzy little dude waiting for me. This was the longest we've ever been away from Forest and I was positively giddy about seeing him again.

Whenever we board Forest for more than a few days, he always comes home with some potty issues (like the great Bean Bag Mishap of '09). So the idea of boarding Forest for over a week had us contemplating saran wrapping our furniture. Luckily Nick's brother and sister-in-law graciously offered to doggy-sit Forest in Iowa while we were gone. We flew home late Sunday night, got a few hours of sleep, worked all day Monday, then hopped in the car for an Iowa road trip.

Jason and Elizabeth were both attending a class that evening so they weren't home when we finally arrived in Iowa (after driving thru rain, fog and road construction, but I would have driven thru a tornado if necessary). We let ourselves in thru the garage and made our way to the upstairs bedroom where Forest was staying in his crate.

The puppy went nuts as soon as we opened the bedroom door and turned on the light. Forest whimpered with glee and the tip of his tail was whipping around like we had just dropped popcorn on the floor. It was only after I opened the crate door that I noticed he was walking in this weird crouching position with the base of his tail tucked under his butt. Then I saw little, glistening spots on his crate blanket and quickly instructed Nick to evacuate the premises.

Yep, Forest was so happy to see us that he was peeing on himself. Nick had to cradle the puppy like a baby so he would stop squirting everywhere and then carry him outside. We had expected Forest to dart into the yard and finish his business right away but nope, the puppy was so ecstatic that he just kept running back and forth between the two of us so he could lick our hands and jump on our legs. I'm surprised he didn't just let loose on the garage floor or driveway. Finally, after confirming that he could keep both of us within eye sight, he went potty on the lawn.

Dang dog, I never thought I would consider losing bladder control as a sign of love :)

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment